10.21.2008

I did not eat a bagel . . .

Rachel said we should blog if we eat a bagel, cuz Joe wants to hear what we are doing. I didn't eat a bagel, sorry.

We did have a productive few days and I am so excited that I have to share it with y'all.

Dave went out to our little cabin on Friday and singlehandedly removed four layers of shingles from the roof. What a superman. The roof has been leaking for years and years. That's why I am so excited. It was way past due.

On Saturday, Martha and Rick went out about noon and Tom and I got there a while later. (my brain wouldn't work--I left behind half of what I wanted to pack. Sheesh). Dave, Rick, and Tom put up plywood sheets to cover the old roof while Martha and I picked up the four layers of shingles that Dave had thrown on the ground the day before.

Dave and I spent the night and it was pleasantly cold. In the morning David Ambrose (one the profs where I work) came out at the crack of dawn to help, because he really talked Dave and I into getting this steel, snap together roofing. They put up the tarpaper and began to put up the roof--just like that. I continued to gather the shingles. Martha, Rick, and Tom all came out around noon and David A. left now that the new crew arrived. The roof came in premeasured sheets --about ten or twelve per the two sides of the roof. They worked and worked and voila! a roof. It is shiny and loverly and should last forever, they say.

Martha and I hauled everything we could out of the attic and started tearing down the drywall ceiling, because it was horrible even before it had been leaked on. I was on a mission and confess that I broke several things as I ruthlessly tore down the chunks of ceiling. The fam left cuz Cathy and I had planned to have a peaceful overnight on Sunday, but when she (and Jim, too) arrived I only had 2/3 of the ceiling down. We continued to rip with a vengence. Now it is bare rafters and I could look at that for a long time till I need to finish it. It's great!!!

Now, I want a bagel.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I LOVE THIS POST... LOVE THE HENNEY FAMILY!!!!!

JoeyJoJoJo said...

Way to go guys, sounds like a fun project. I always like the tearing down of things, when it comes to the putting back up of things I slack a little bit. Good to hear it was a family effort! Wish I coulda been there! Love you all...

Anonymous said...

The tearing down was excruciating! I was sitting on the peak of the roof Friday holding my 18" long nail puller (shingle remover) and contemplating that the shingle removal would take all weekend when a guy from my Coastal office called and among other things asked if I was using a shingle shovel. I said, "huh?"

I went to the little hardware store in North Bend and discovered they had two styles of shingle shovel (flat front edge except for a serration that looks like Bart Simpson's hair and a fulcrum underneath to aid in getting under roofing nails and prying up old shingles). This sped things up considerably, but with four layers, each with its own set of nails, it was painful work that took me every daylight hour from 10AM Friday to 10AM Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I also put my entire leg through the existing rotten planking underneath the old shingles and into the kitchen of the cabin. So, I had several such rotten planks to fix also.

Barb said...

Reading this 3.5 years later . . . I forgot to mention what Jim Gilpin said about spending that relaxing time with Cath and I tearing down the ceiling. It was something like "I'm seeing how the German girls take a vacation!" We and the cabin were such a disaster!